Atlantic Ocean Cruise Summary
*Cruise data used in calculating anthropogenic CO2
aCalibration details for carbon measurements are in Wanninkhof et al. 2003
bCruise report available at WHPO Web site. These cruise reports include the final data reports written specifically for CFCs, carbon measurements and both large volume and small volume radiocarbon measurements
cSee Johnson et al. 1996
dAlkalinity measurements from this cruise deleted from merged data set
fNot listed by WHP as a WOCE cruise
gSee Peltola et al. 1998
hSee Millero et al. 2000
iSee Severinghaus et al. 1996
jTCO2 measurements from this cruise deleted from merged data set
kSee Johnson et al. 2002b
lSee Johnson et al. 1995
mSee Johnson et al. 1998b
nSee Chipman et al. 1994
pSee Rios et al. 2003 for independent estimates of anthropogenic CO2 for this section
qSee Johnson et al. 2003
rSee Elder 2002
sWHP indicates that samples collected, but not yet reported
tIndian Ocean cruise additionally listed here to provide data closure at the southeastern boundary
vSee Leboucher et al. 1999
wSee ODF 1985
xSee Chipman et al. 1986
ySee Weiss et al. 1990
zHydrographic data received from Bruce Huber, LDEO; nutrient data received from L. Gordon, Oregon State Univ.; carbon data received from Taro Takahashi, LDEO; calculated alkalinity values are from R.Wanninkhof, NOAA/AOML; P.Schlosser isotope data and R.Weiss CFC data received from B.Kromer
aaARC (Agulhas Retroflection Cruise) data received from B.Huber and B.Haines, LDEO
abData received from L.Talley, SIO; see also Woods Hole data Report WHOI 85-38
acData received from B.Huber and B.Haines, LDEO
adListed by WHP as official occupation of the A16N line
aeSee Chen 1987, Gordon et al. 1984, and Gordon and Huber 1984
afSee Bainbridge 1981
agSee Ostlund et al. 1987
ahData received from B.Kromer
aiSee ODF 1986a
ajSee Brewer et al. 1986
akSee Ostlund and Grall 1987
alSee ODF, 1986b
amData not yet obtained; See Weiss et al. 1991
anSee Key et al. 1990; this report only includes results from large volume casts, but rosette samples are also in the data file
aoData received from W.Smethie
apSee ODF, 1992a,b,c
akSee Ostlund and Grall 1992
asNo data available, see Alvarez et al. 2003
atHydros 4 was officially an independent cruise, however it is frequently merged with the SAVE cruises, as is done here
auRoemmich and Wunsch 1985
avU.S-U.S.S.R Weddell Polynya Expedition
awAccording to the comparison between TALK measured on A17 and recent cruises (CITHER-3, FICARAM-2, and FICARAM-3), the PIs recommend a correction of -8 µmol/kg for all TALK measurements (Rios et al. 2005, NDP-084)
axData now available from WHPO
ayNOSAMS data report #04-002, values now available from http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/ocd/oaces/bottle_data.html
azThis cruise frequently included as part of SAVE collection
baData received from M.Hoppema via B.Huss. Submitted to WHPO 08/12/05
bbData from http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/ocd/oaces/bottle_data.html
bcSee Forde et al. 1994
bdSee Castle et al. 1998
beMeasurements completed 12/04, data will soon be available from http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/ocd/oaces/bottle_data.html
bfCommonly known as AJAX Expedition
bgSee Schlitzer et al. 1985
bhSee Smethie 1993
biSee Hoppema et al. 1995, 1997, 1998; Robinson and Williams 1991
bjCorrected longitudes for a few stations available from CCHDO
- Bainbridge, A. E. 1981. GEOSECS Atlantic Expedition, Vol. 1, Hydrographic Data 1972-1973, IDOE/ NSF, 121pp.
- Brewer, P. G., A. L. Bradshaw, R. T. Williams. 1986. Measurements of total carbon dioxide and alkalinity in the North Atlantic Ocean in 1981. In: Trabalka J. R., and D. E. Reichle (eds.), The Changing Carbon Cycle: A Global Analysis. Springer, New York, pp. 348-370.
- Chen, C.-T. A., 1987. Carbonate chemistry of the Weddell Sea. NDP-028, Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN.
- Chipman, D. W., T. Takahash,i and S. C. Sutherland. 1986. Carbon chemistry of the South Atlantic Ocean and the Weddell Sea: The results of the Atlantic Long Lines (AJAX) Expeditions, October, 1983 - February, 1984. Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory, Columbia Univ., Palisades, NY, unnumbered technical report, 185pp.
- Chipman, D. W., T. Takahashi, D. Breger and S. C. Sutherland. 1994. Carbon Dioxide, Hydrographic and Chemical Data Obtained During the R/V Meteor Cruise 11/5 in the South Atlantic Ocean and Northern Weddell Sea Areas (WOCE sections A-12 and A-21). ORNL/CDIAC-55, NDP-045, Carbon Dioxide INformation Analysis Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN, 56pp.
- Elder, K. L., A. P. McNichol, and A. R. Gagnon. 1998. Reproducibility of seawater, inorganic and organic carbon 14C results at NOSAMS. Radiocarbon 40(1):223-30.
- Gordon, A. L. and B. A. Huber. 1984. Thermohaline stratification below the Southern Ocean sea ice. J. Geophys. Res. 89(C1):641-648.
- Gordon, A. L., C. T. A. Chen, and W. G. Metcalf. 1984. Winter mixed layer entrainment of Weddell Deep Water. J. Geophys. Res., 89:637-40.
- Johnson, K. M., D. W. R. Wallace, R. J. Wilke, and C. Goyet. 1995. Carbon dioxide, hydrographic and chemical data obtained during the R/V Meteor Cruise 15/3 in the South Atlantic Ocean (WOCE section A9, February - March 1991), ORNL/CDIAC-82, NDP-051, Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN, 44 pp.
- Johnson, K. M., B. Schneider, L. Mintrop, and D. W. R. Wallace. 1996. Carbon Dioxide, Hydrographic and Chemical Data Obtained During the R/V Meteor Cruise 18/1 in the North Atlantic Ocean (WOCE section A1E, September 1991). ORNL/CDIAC-91, NDP-056, Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN, 44 pp.
- Johnson, K. M., B. Schneider, L. Mintrop, and D. W. R. Wallace. 1998b. Carbon Dioxide, Hydrographic, and Chemical Data Obtained During the R/V Meteor Cruise 22/5 in the South Atlantic Ocean (WOCE Section A10, December 1992 - January 1993). ORNL/CDIAC-113, NDP-066, Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN, 49 pp.
- Johnson, K. M., K. Wills, A. Koertzinger, C. Neill, and D. W. R. Wallace. 2002b. Carbon dioxide, hydrographic, and chemical data obtained during the R/V Meteor Cruise 28/1 in the South Atlantic Ocean (WOCE section A8, March29 - May12, 1994). ORNL/CDIAC-135, NDP-079, Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN, 38pp.
- Johnson, K. M., R. M. Key,. F. J. Millero, C. L. Sabine, D. W. R. Wallace, C. D. Winn, L. Arlen, K. Erickson, K. Friis, M. Galanter, J. Goen, R. Rotter, C. Thomas, R. J. Wilke, T. Takahashi, and S. C. Sutherland. 2003. Carbon Dioxide, Hydrographic, and Chemical Data Obtained During the R/V Knorr Cruises in the North Atlantic Ocean on WOCE Sections AR24 (November 2 - December 5, 1996) and A24, A20, and A22 (May 30 - September 3, 1997). ORNL/CDIAC-143, NDP-082, Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN, 46pp.
- Leboucher, V., J. Orr, P. Jean-Baptiste, M. Arnold, P. Monfray, N. Tisnerat-Laborde, A. Poisson, and J.-C. Duplessy. 1999. Oceanic radiocarbon between Antarctica and South Africa along WOCE section I06 at 30°E. Radiocarbon, 41(1):51-73.
- Millero, F. J., S. Fiol, D. M. Campbell, and G. Parrilla. 2000. Carbon Dioxide, Hydrographic and Chemical Data Obtained During the R/V Hespérides Cruise in the Atlantic Ocean (WOCE Section A5, July 14 - August 15, 1992). ORNL/CDIAC-125, NDP-074, Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN, 37pp.
- Ostlund, H. G., H. Craig, W. S. Broecker, and D. Spencer. 1987. GEOSECS Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian Ocean Expeditions. Vol. 7: Shorebased Data and Graphics, IDOE/NSF, 200pp.
- Ostlund, H. G., and C. Grall. 1987. North and Tropical Atlantic tritium and radiocarbon. Tritium Laboratory Data Report No. 16, R.S.M.A.S., Univ. Miami, Miami, FL, 277pp.
- ODF. 1985. Physical, chemical, and CTD data, R/V Oceanus OC202, 23 July 1988 - 1 September 1988, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, Univ. Calif., San Diego, SIO Ref. 91-16, [cross listed as Texas A&M Univ., College Station, TX ref. 85-4-D], 275pp.
- ODF. 1986a. Transient Tracers in the Ocean North Atlantic Study, Shipboard physical and chemical data report. Physical and Chemical Oceanographic Data Facility, Scripps Inst. Ocean. PACODF Publication No 221, SIO Reference 86-15, 714pp.
- Peltola, E., K. Lee, R. Wanninkhof, R. Feely, M. Roberts, D. Greeley, M. Baringer, G. Johnson, J. Bullister, C. Mordy, J.-Z. Zhang, P. Quay, F. Millero, D. Hansell, and A.P. Minnett. 1998. Chemical and hydrographic measurements on a climate and global change cruise along 24°N in the Atlantic, WOCE section A5R(repeat), during January-February 1998. NOAA Data Report OAR AOML-41. AOML, Miami, FL. 199 pp.
- Rìos, A. F., X. A. Àlvarez-Salgado, F. F. Pèrez, L. S. Bingler, J. Arìstegui, and L. Mèmery. 2003. Carbon dioxide along WOCE line A14: Water masses characterization and anthropogenic entry. J. Geophys. Res., 108:3123,doi:10.1029/2000JC000366.
- Severinghaus, J. P., W. S. Broecker, T.-H. Peng, and G. Bonani. 1996. Transect along 24°N latitude of 14C in dissolved inorganic carbon in the subtropical North Atlantic Ocean. Radiocarbon, 39(3):407-14.
- Wanninkhof, R., T.-H. Peng, B. Huss, C. L. Sabine, K. Lee. 2003. Comparison of inorganic carbon system parameters measured in the Atlantic Ocean from 1990 to 1998 and recommended adjustments, A. Kozyr (ed.). ORNL/CDIAC-140. Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, U.S. Department of Energy, Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
- Weiss, R. F., J. L. Bullister, M. J. Warner, F. A. Van Woy, and P. K. Salameh. 1990. Ajax Expedition chlorofluorocarbon measurements. Scripps Inst. Ocean., Univ. Calif. San Diego, CA, SIO Reference 90-6, 190pp.