World Ocean Atlas 2018
World Ocean Atlas 2018 (WOA18) is a set of objectively analyzed (one degree grid and quarter degree grid) climatological fields of in situ temperature, salinity, dissolved oxygen, Apparent Oxygen Utilization (AOU), percent oxygen saturation, phosphate, silicate, and nitrate at standard depth levels for annual, seasonal, and monthly compositing periods for the World Ocean. Quarter degree fields are for temperature and salinity only. It also includes associated statistical fields of observed oceanographic profile data interpolated to standard depth levels on quarter degree, one degree, and five degree grids. Temperature and salinity fields are available for six decades (1955-1964, 1965-1974, 1975-1984, 1985-1994, 1995-2004, and 2005-2017) an average of all decades representing the period 1955-2017, as well as a thirty year "climate normal" period 1981-2010. Oxygen fields (as well as AOU and percent oxygen saturation) are available using all quality controlled data 1960-2017, nutrient fields using all quality controlled data from the entire sampling period 1878-2017. This accession is a product generated by the National Centers for Environmental Information's (NCEI) Ocean Climate Laboratory Team. The analyses are derived from the NCEI World Ocean Database 2018.
- Cite as: Boyer, Tim P.; García, Hernán E.; Locarnini, Ricardo A.; Zweng, Melissa M.; Mishonov, Alexey V.; Reagan, James R.; Weathers, Katharine A.; Baranova, Olga K.; Paver, Christopher R.; Seidov, Dan; Smolyar, Igor V. (2018). World Ocean Atlas 2018. [indicate subset used]. NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information. Dataset. https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/archive/accession/NCEI-WOA18. Accessed [date].
- Please refer to Credit tab for full citation information.
|Ordering Instructions||Contact NCEI for other distribution options and instructions.|
|Distributor||NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information
|Dataset Point of Contact||NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information
|Time Period||1955-01-01 to 2017-12-31|
|Spatial Bounding Box Coordinates||
|Spatial Coverage Map|
|Data Presentation Form|| Digital table - digital representation of facts or figures systematically displayed, especially in columns
|Dataset Progress Status||Complete - production of the data has been completed
Historical archive - data has been stored in an offline storage facility
|Data Update Frequency||As needed|
This final version of WOA18, published in July 2019, is replacing a prereleased version made available in September 2018. The changes between the versions include:
1. For the first time, the animal-mounted pinniped temperature profiles (APB) have been added, improving coverage in high latitude areas.
2. A different Expendable Bathythermograph (XBT) correction (Cheng et al., 2014) has been employed.
3. A double XBT correction has been detected in pre-release version and fixed in final version.
4. All temperature and salinity climatological fields were re-calculated to account for these adjustments.
|Purpose||Oceanographic objective analyses have proven to be of great utility to the oceanographic, climate research, geophysical, and operational environmental forecasting communities. Such analyses are used as boundary and/or initial conditions in numerical ocean circulation models and atmosphere-ocean models, for verification of numerical simulations of the ocean, as a form of "sea truth" for satellite measurements such as altimetric observations of sea surface height, for computation of nutrient fluxes by Ekman transport, and for planning oceanographic expeditions among others.|
|Points of Contact|
Last Modified: 2021-10-16T01:40:23Z
For questions about the information on this page, please email: email@example.com