Information about the netCDF data files in the NOAA Marine Environmental Buoy Database
- Information about netCDF data and metadata access options via NODC's THREDDS Data Server:
- Intstructions for downloading an entire netCDF data file via NODC's FTP server:
- On the command line, enter "ftp ftp.nodc.noaa.gov"
- Enter "anonymous" for the User
- Enter your e-mail address for the password
- Enter "cd pub/data.nodc/ndbc/cmanwx"
- There is a directory for each year and month that has data. Change directory to the desired year and month (e.g., "cd 2011/01").
- "get" the file of your choice, or "mget" multiple files in the directory
- enter bye to log off.
- Information about NDBC's netCDF server and files. http://dods.ndbc.noaa.gov/ *
- Information about netCDF. http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/ *
- NetCDF data file naming convention: NDBC_<WMO ID>_<YYYYMM>_D<DEPLOYMENT NUMBER>_v<VERSION NUMBER>.nc
WMO ID: 5-character alpha-numeric string, which the World Meteorological Organization assigned, to identify C-MAN stations and moored buoys;
YYYYMM: numeric year and month that NDBC collected the data;
DEPLOYMENT NUMBER: unique number assigned to specific station configuration, sequentially assigned by the NDBC database system
- (lower number = older configuration and a higher number = a newer configuration);
VERSION NUMBER: two-digit number that NDBC uses to track their version of the data, starting with 00; and
.nc: netCDF (version 4) file extension.
- For more information contact NODC.firstname.lastname@example.org