NCEI manages an enormous collection of environmental data spanning a broad spectrum of scientific disciplines stored using a wide variety of archiving methods, naming conventions, file formats, governance strategies, organization methods, and storage infrastructure. NCEI develops software, APIs, visualization methods, and other services to enhance data data access, discovery, and interoperability.
NOAA OneStop can be used to search for any NOAA data with a metadata record. It is an interoperable tool designed to explore data from across scientific disciplines, formats, time periods, and locations. OneStop’s wide range of filtering options can pinpoint specific collections or granules that may not be discoverable in other mediums.
Specs and Features
- 35,000 collection metadata records
- Over 9 million metadata granules
- Search API can help narrow results, including filtering out records without data access
- Robust, keyword enabled search interface
- File filters to further narrow the granule download process
The NCEI Data Access application offers a wide variety of download and subsetting options for a growing collection of environmental data. While current offerings are limited primarily to weather and climate information, the application has a data-agnostic infrastructure designed to accommodate a broad spectrum of observation formats from across science disciplines.
- Global Summary of the Month (GSOM) v1
- Global Summary of the Year (GSOY) v2
- Integrated Surface Dataset (Global)
- Global Historical Climatology Network - Daily (GHCN-Daily), Version 3
Specs and Features
- Cloud ready APIs
- Access to physical server and cloud based products
- Direct download (csv, pdf, certified pdf, arcGIS/shapefile, bulk download, zip file)
- Order fulfillment (through the online store)
- Identifies certified data
Search Products and Datasets
Other ways to search for individual NCEI products and datasets:
Tools for Developers
Common Access APIs
Access and subset data based on a set of parameters to the v1 URL.
Discover datasets and data based on a set of parameters to the v1/datasets or v1/data URLs, respectively.
Discover metadata and attributes about datasets based on parameters of the /v3/datasets URL.
Retrieve information about previous orders based on a set of parameters to the /v1 or /v1/airs URLs, respectively.
Map Service Directories
The REST services directory provide access to the GIS servers for NCEI map products. These servers contain service-level metadata, a variety of data visualization previews and download formats, and information for programmers and developers.
Climate Data Online Web Services
Climate Data Online (CDO) offers web services that provide access to current data. This API is for developers looking to create their own scripts or programs that use the CDO database of weather and climate data. An access token is required to use the API, and each token will be limited to five requests per second and 10,000 requests per day.