The World Data Service for Paleoclimatology manages the International Tree-Ring Data Bank (ITRDB), the world's largest public archive of tree ring data. Oversight is provided by the ITRDB Advisory Committee. The ITRDB includes raw ring width, wood density, isotope measurements, and site growth index chronologies from more than 5,000 sites on six continents. Reconstructed climate parameters are also available for some areas.
Accessing Data at the World Data Service for Paleoclimatology
Search Tree Ring Data
Search through tree ring studies using Investigator, Title, Location Name, Tree Species, and Latitude/Longitude bounds.Launch Tree Ring Data Search
Search All Paleoclimatology Data
Access a free text search of our entire archive.Launch Paleo Data Search
Select study locations by region, proximity to a point, or text-based attributes.
Google Earth Map
Locate and download tree ring studies using a Google Earth map interface. Google Earth must be installed to use this search tool.Download .KMZ File
NCEI Paleo Web Service
Use the NCEI Paleo Web Service to access tree ring study metadata records.API Documentation
Browse Tree Ring Datasets
To contribute to the ITRDB, review our instructions for contributing data. Prospective data providers can email email@example.com to submit data and study description information in decadal format. If the data files do not include header information, please also complete the metadata portion of our data contribution template (available at the link below) and email template along with the decadal format data files.
Additional sources for data and information on tree rings.
- Trieste 2008 Workshop Report on Tree Rings
- WSL Birmensdorf Worldwide Ringwidth and Density Data in WSL Format or ITRDB Decadal Format
- Drought Variability
- Climate Reconstruction
- Fire History Data (International Multiproxy Paleofire Database)
- Dendrochronology Program Library from University of Arizona Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research
- Lamont-Doherty Tree-Ring Lab Windows and Mac ARSTAN and More
- Dendrochronology Species Database
- Bibliography of Dendrochronology
- Multilingual Glossary of Dendrochronology
- Digital Collaboratory for Cultural Dendrochronology (DCCD)
- Wood Anatomy of Central European Species