The World Data Service (WDS) for Paleoclimatology maintains archives of ice core data from polar and low-latitude mountain glaciers and ice caps throughout the world. Proxy climate indicators include oxygen isotopes, methane concentrations, dust content, and many other parameters.
Accessing Data at the World Data Service for Paleoclimatology
Search Ice Core Data
Search through ice core studies using Investigator, Title, Location Name, Parameters, and Latitude/Longitude Bounds.
Search All Paleoclimatology Data
Access a free text search of our entire archive.
Select study locations by region, proximity to a point, or text-based attributes.
Google Earth Map
Locate and download ice core studies using a Google Earth map interface. Google Earth must be installed to use this search tool.
NCEI Paleo Web Service
Use the NCEI Paleo Web Service to access ice core study metadata records.
Browse Ice Core Datasets
Additional sources for data and information on ice cores and climate science.
- Trieste 2008 Workshop Report on Ice Cores
- Report on the sources of uncertainty in ice core climate proxy data.
- National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC)
- Research center that manages and distributes scientific data from all of the Earth's frozen environments. They also create data access tools and support data users.
- U.S. National Ice Core Laboratory (NICL)
- Facility that stores, curates, and studies ice cores recovered from all over the world and provides scientists opportunities for future study of these cores.